Tuesday, June 3, 2008
this is an ep by a band called the virgins. they are from new york city. there was one picture of them in spin standing in front of my favorite restaurant in the east village. i saw them because one of the guys from the harlem shakes had appendicitis. it was one of those excellent accidents.
there are five songs on this ep. all of them are very good in various ways.
1. RICH GIRLS. "i went down to your house last weekend. it's like, come on man! you don't have to tell me everything that's bad! so there's a broken mirror on my bed, i'll clean it up, so what? you don't have to be such an asshole all the time." those are some of my favorite lyrics of all time. that, plus sexy bassline and clean clean clean guitar, the reflection of donald cumming's voice from low to high to low.
2. LOVE IS COLDER THAN DEATH. the bass thing, then the addition of the guitar, when he sings the song's title with slight variations and additions is so excellent. i wish i knew the name for it. at the end of the chorus also this awkward wandering guitar thing is so good.
3. FERNANDO PANDO. this remains still one of the most beautiful songs of this sort of nouveau-grunge genre that i know of. the strokes who i suppose you could most readily compare the virgins to NEVER made a song that sounded like this. i still remember when they sang this live and as slowly and gradually from the first chorus it began to build and build and build and expand and open into infinity, i still remember that energy and that feeling and then: "she said well right now you and i we're getting high but it don't have to be this way! lately i don't wanna say goodbye but it's all that i have to say!"
4. RADIO CHRISTIANE. i love the terrible sound quality, i love the acoustic guitar and the fuzz of electric over it. i love most of all though the voice, it's so good in this song. i love how it ends too, how it's just---over!
5. ONE WEEK OF DANGER. one week of danger is a thing of beauty. it is an uninhibited expression of how much you want to do it. come on. obviously! i am pretty sure that in this song donald cumming pretends he is six or seven people. he is himself, the "protagonist," then he is "assorted friends asking awkward questions about your sex life," then he is "the annoying girl." i love when he pretends to be her and he says "come on baby! don't say it's true! please say you love me like i love you!" and how the chorus is, "we love each other!" although i always thought it was "i'll have your children." which is equally hilarious.
THE PROBLEM IS: the virgins put an album out today. it is called "the virgins."
the cover's pretty cool, am i right?
unfortunately, the virgins that i loved for sounding like they put this ep out of their basement ARE GONE. one week of danger, which is for sure my favorite, doesn't even sound like itself. i miss the terrible sound quality! i miss the three instrument simplicity and lack of guitar harmony and hilarious chorus and awkward roleplaying. i don't think i am going to buy the rest of the album.
i did pay six dollars for their ep. there it is for you for free. take it! they're good live, so i'd see them.
M12 IS REAL